Monday, May 16, 2011

Motion and blur - MNR


Usually when taking photos, moving while taking the picture yields a blurry outcome. That is why people spend tons of money on fast lenses, internal lens image stabilization, etc. But occasionally, blurring can have an awesome effect on the picture.



Today I got my chest harness and seatpost/handlebar mount in the mail for the Go Pro camera. I've been wanting a chest harness mounted camera for a very long time. I've seen too many cool biking photos in the woods where the handlebars are sharp but the scenery and trail are just a blur. This can be easily accomplished by having a slow shutter speed to capture the blur of the movement. Heck, I even drew up a blueprint for a handmade chest harness that would attach to the cross strap on my camelback (would use a square block of foam to hold the camera in place and the camelback strap would slip through this foam). Never tried to make it.


Getting closer to the effect that I like. Handlebars in focus, hands showing, blurring of the ground.  

Well now, I took the simple way out and bought the chest harness for the Go Pro. It wasn't cheap. Go Pro is very smart, they made a simple bottom to their camera housing that only accepts their attachments. Any attachment you buy for the Go Pro, has to come from them. Car mounts, suction cup mount, surf board mount, helmet mount, you name a sport, they have a way to attach the camera to it. Very, very smart on their behalf.

What's great about the Go Pro is that you can just set it to automatically take pictures at X interval and it will continue to do so until shut off. Unfortunately, you can't set any manual exposure settings on the camera. So you can't set a fast/slow shutter speed, or aperture priority. Aperture controls the amount of light coming into the camera by changing the size of the opening. Kind of like the pupil size of your eye is changed by your iris closing and opening. Sorry to get all camera technical folks!
I missed the water splash by a split second! 

It is my plan to practice these movement on the bike shots. Kind of hard when the trail is bumpy, but I think it can be done better. If I can keep my handlebars from moving too much and maybe ride faster, haha, then I will get more clear shots of the handlebars with blurring scenery. I have the Cancer ride this Saturday and Diabetes Tour de Cure on Sunday, so with it being on pavement maybe I'll have some better luck. Anyway, enjoy the pics! I need to work on the senior portraits that I took yesterday, will hopefully get some videos up and running of MNR. Have a great rest of the week!
Devo and MNR were both ready for a nice evening of riding! 

 Smile guys, candid camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment