Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Slightly snowy MNR


More coldness. But no wind. Just plain cold. But I wasn't complaining. Why? Because there was finally some snow on the ground and I was having a blast on the trail with the Mukluk. Sunday night we got between a half to one inch of snow in certain areas (I'm totally guessing here). All day, temps hovered around 31 so I figured that the trail would be way too sloppy to ride tonight. Boy was I wrong! Once the sun went down, the temp dropped and anything wet was starting to refreeze.

Holding the camera while biking singletrack in freezing temps on snow at night is not recommended. But I do it anyway. No flash = blurry pics. As soon as I had gotten onto the trail and realized how bright it was with the snow, I had wished that I had my GoPro mounted on my handlebars. A night snowbiking film would be awesome! I have no clue how many lux the GoPro is or whether it can pick up anything at night at all. 


The tires just bit into the light layer of snow on the trail. I led most of the time once I met up with the group, only to help pack down some of that snow. Not that there was much packing down needed. Fingers were near frozen, same with toes. So we called it quits after riding a majority of the Tranquility. But man, going through the trees and taking those sweet singletrack turns just a little too fast made for a thrilling ride. I was purposely unclipping as I came up to a turn so that I could stick a foot out. I think it saved me a couple of times. The back tire would just start to whip out, and there was just enough time for me to say whoa before the Surly Endomorph would catch the traction again. Great times fellas and glad we all made it out (seven of us plus Cody the dog). Thanks to Paul for sharing the heat of his basement and for the Pale Ales that Brian brought over (not sure who brought the Leines, but thanks also for those). I ended up back at work from 10pm till midnight. That's alright though, more money equals more toys and down payment!

The Mukluk encounters snow for the 4th time


1 comment:

  1. I could tell you were just having a riot out there Mike. Actually, I was too in a little more cautious way. I heard you yell a little way ahead of me in the trees. Then I saw your sliding tracks where you took a corner a little too fast. Nice save.

    Thanks for packing that snow down on the trail!

    ReplyDelete