Monday, November 14, 2011

Slowly but surely

I've had my sister's Fender guitar in my closet for about three years now. I saw it at my parents' house in her room while she was away at Optometry school. Think I'll borrow it and take some lessons. Well fast forward three years and I still haven't taken any lessons. I've bought books, dvds, etc. But I just couldn't find the time or interest to get past the "Tuning of your guitar" section in Guitars for Dummies.

I had recently heard about a game coming to PS3 called Rocksmith where you can plug a real actual guitar into your playstation, and it will teach you chords and help you learn songs in a Guitar Hero/Rockband sort of way. But considering that this game isn't out yet and it will cost $80, I just kind of tossed the idea around. Then when I got my daily buy.com email a few weeks ago, I saw that they were advertising a guitar program. I read some reviews and heard about other programs, finally settling on Emedia's Guitar Method for beginners. It was half the price of the Rocksmith and I figured that it would be more of a structured lesson. Reviews were good and I got it!

I've only invested a couple of hours into the program/lessons so far, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I currently know the chords of G, G7, C, A7, and D. I may not be going very fast, but after two lessons I know more than I've learned over the past three years! Figured that it will be a good winter hobby for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment