Friday, November 4, 2011

The Muk-Rack

After doing mucho internet research to figure out which racks would fit the Mukluk, I went ahead and bought the Bontrager Back Rack L. I wanted the Back Rack II which only had bars going across, but ended up with their newest version called the BackRack L. At first I was going to protest and was thinking that I could save weight and the II looked cooler (I've also seen two instances where the II would fit). But the kid at the Trek Store said that it works as a built in fender. True that! Sold! Plus I figure there is a little more substance on the rack allowing for better weight distribution when I come rolling around the block with a 12 pack of beer! Always thinking ahead...

So my question is whether or not it is safe to ride the trails with this rack always on my bike? Or would it be safer to take it off and just install it when needed? Any user input from those who have used a rack before?


I waited to open the packaging because I wasn't sure if the rack would bend enough to fit the fatty mounts.

Afraid that the rack would ruin the finish on the Muk, I used some electrical tape and made a "cushion" between the rack and the seatstay mounts. If it scrapes away, oh well. At least it is flat black and can easily be touched up.


Tada!

No comments:

Post a Comment