Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cranksgiving 2011


Cranksgiving! What is it? Its the event with the funny name where you bike to buy food for the Omaha Food Bank. It's a race of sorts, with classes divided between men and women, trailer, and singlespeed. It's the second year in a row that I've done it and what brought me back? The fun, the biking, and the good cause!

The pre-ride get together. Pep talk to pump ourselves up for the event!

Weather was in the 50s this year. We were blessed with a Cranksiving that didn't take place in the snow or slightly above freezing temps. And that helped alot! We made our way from Bike Masters out to the HyVee at 90th and Center. On our way back, a few in our group stopped at Trader Joe's while the rest of the gang headed for SuperTarget on Maple.
The prizes donated by Bike Masters, Chrome bags, and other area businesses


While the goal of the event is to buy food by getting ten different items from ten stores, we were going for distance instead. Riding from home to Cranksgiving, out and back, 1/3 of a lap at Tranquility, then back home helped me to put in 24 miles for the day. Not too shabby for a Saturday ride that was helping out the Omaha Food Bank!

And we were off!


Quite possibly the highlight of this year's Cranksgiving was seeing this ride take place in HyVee's parking lot. Dale on the orange the cruiser! Sorry Dale, this video is too good to not share.

Once in a lifetime event from Misterlime on Vimeo.

Things that stuck out about the ride? I nearly fell and broke my legs. I had a box on the back of the Muk so I had to dismount my bike by swinging my leg over the top tube instead of over the seat. Well once we had gotten to Center Street, while crossing the bridge my bungee chord had come off. I stopped to reattach it. I looked at a narrow section of grass and proceeded to dismount there. Well it was on the downill slope. My bike fell towards me, I hopped off and next thing I knew I was taking a step and saw there was a three foot drop off by the retaining wall. I thought quick and jumped, luckily landed on my feet. How I didn't sprain my ankle with the narrow footprint of my biking shoes is anyone's guess.
First stop was Hy-Vee at 90th and Center

Special delivery on the Muk

Secondly, Dave N walked away with a very nice Chrome bag. He was called second in the raffle. The Felt Hybrid bike was still available, but he went with the bag. No comment (because I know that you'll hear it for a very long time from your family). The third guy in the raffle was contemplating the bike. I was chosen fourth. I walked up, no way. I had the chance of actually winning the bike! But eventually, the guy ultimately chose the bike and I ended up with some winter shoe covers made by Planet Bike. I was happy! Besides the raffle, everyone who participated ended up going home with some sort of schwag
Dale was lending a hand and fixing Kacey's bike



Bikes of all sorts were out. Cruisers, full rigids, trailers, fat bikes. Hey whatever floats your boat

Two fat bikes were in this year's Cranksgiving. Chris G's Pugs in the foreground, my Muk in the background

Jena trying out Kacey's orange cruiser

That's alot of turkeys!

Thanks to BikeMasters, the organizers, the cooks who brought in the soups and desserts, and everyone involved in putting together this event. 52 riders showed up and we brought in over 1000 lbs of food. That is 1000 lbs of food that will help to feed the hungry this winter. Way to go!!! See everyone next year!

Some pics of the winners:



My new shoe covers and gloves that I got. NICE!
Dave with his new Chrome bag. Very nice!

Here is Stratomatica's take on Cranksgiving
http://stratomatica.blogspot.com/2011/11/cranksgiving-report-2011.html

No comments:

Post a Comment