Monday, September 26, 2011

More test riding


When was the last time that you hopped on a bike, rode around the neighborhood, and tried to find things to roll over. Kind of like when you were a kid, exploring the neighborhood trying to find curbs to jump and ants to fry on the sidewalk. Yeah, we've all done it. Puts a huge smile on your face remembering those times, right!? That's exactly the feeling I felt riding this bike. Huge smile on my face on this sunny day while riding. And the people who I passed that stopped mid step to point and to whisper, "Look at those tires!" did the exact same thing! Huge smiles!


Thanks to Xtreme Wheels in Council Bluffs, I finally had the chance to test ride a Salsa Mukluk in a size that fits me. Medium! I've been following these bikes for over a year and I finally found one to ride! They built it up for me and called me that same day! What service! How was it you ask? With those monster truck tires, it's actually pretty easy to ride! It takes off pretty quick, rolls over anything and everything, and is pretty nimble. Blaine, Bill and his crew let me take out the blue 2012 Mukluk 3 on this beautiful Sunday. Just bring it back before we close! No problem! I actually went out for two rides on it because I was having so much fun. I cruised around Council Bluffs and had a blast! Found some sand to check out the traction. Also came across a neighborhood with hills and all brick roads. No suspension needed! These tires are the suspension! Easy to climb those hills and descended like a champ. I was actually disappointed that I had to stop at each intersection at the four way stops. I just wanted to keep pedaling and rolling along! Rolls super easy through grass and on dirt paths. I'm sold!

The blue color is sparkling and I really like it! ONLY problem is that I'm planning to get the upgraded version, the Mukluk 2. It's not out yet, but stores have been taking orders. The differences include drilled out rims to save weight, E13 crank, Avid bb7s, X9, 120tpi tires, and a black anodized paint job. It is projected that the differences among others will save the bike about 4 pounds. Yeah yeah...take a huge dump before you go riding. But four lbs is quite a bit! While the Mukluk3 that I rode today would do me just fine, why not go big since I plan to ride this bike year round? The Ti framed Mukluk is one that I cannot afford. But the Mukluk 2 is something that is within my wallets reach.

Many people ask why would I need a bike like that? It can't be fast. Well its actually not too bad. At the same time...I admit it. I'm not a fast rider anyway. I have no problem being the caboose during bike rides with friends. I'll stop and take pictures of nature. Tinker around and change the position of my Go Pro camera on the bike. Sometimes you bike too fast and you'll miss the nature and the scenic views that the trails have to offer. Kind of like life. Stop and smell the roses, otherwise life might just pass you buy. Might as well smell the roses with a huge smile on my face! Stay tuned for more!

1 comment:

  1. Great write up, Mike! Sounds like a bike I would like. Can't wait for you to get it (so I can check it out!). Great that Blaine gave you so much time on the bike to verify you would like the ride and experience.

    ReplyDelete