Thursday, September 8, 2011

The 2011 Iowa State Fair


Yeah, so I'm late on this posting. Trying to play mad catch up before my vacation next week. Anyway, for you photographers out there, the state fairs are a great way to practice taking pictures. You have a wealth of subjects from animals and people and all types of events. Get there around noon, take pictures and see the sights all day. Then in the back of your mind scope out a great place to take some evening/night shots. The 15 minutes or so right around dusk are the photographer's dream come true. Especially if the sky is flavored with clouds and colors from the sun.


Well here is the story that I promised to tell. So I had just come out of the midway where I was taking random pics of rides using my Lensbaby lens. Trying to get some blur on the rides as they moved. I walked back onto the main street looking for the fried butter booth. Why? Well not because I wanted to try it, but I at least wanted to see it.

"So what kind of pictures are you taking?" That was the question that I was asked by two state troopers as they tapped me on the shoulder. Umm...I've been taking pictures all day officers. Whatever I can find around the state fair. "Were you taking pictures of kids?" Hell if I know. I was just taking pictures of people on the rides. No one in particular. "Can I see your i.d.? Yeah sure, have fun. Not a single speeding ticket or anything on it. CLEAN. Let's step over to the shade. As the one guy called in my license on his walkie talkie, the other guy asked me about my photography and camera. I told him how I try to do alot of mt biking photography, done a wedding and some senior portraits. Cool, you mountain bike. Me too. What kind of a bike do you have? Where do you bike at in NE. While one guy was real cool and talking to me about biking, the other was trying to be more serious.

Finally I asked, "Officers, is there a problem?" Serious officer said, "Yeah, there was a concerned couple who called us because there was a man taking pictures of kids. You understand how parents can be and you know that can be a problem." I told them I agree and I was about to offer them a look at my camera. But the one officer kept talking to me about biking. Ever go to the NE state fair? What brings you all the way out to Des Moines? Seriously, have you never seen the NE state fair? Nothing compared to the Iowa one. Finally after wasting 15 minutes of my time, a couple walked over. "Nope, that's not him." He had a white shirt and gray hair. I was wearing my gray Yeti cycles shirt and I can't say that I have THAT many gray hairs yet. Great description of the wrong guy. You officers just saw me with a camera and assumed it was me. Thanks for wasting my time.


Serious officer hands me back my license and starts to walk without saying have a good day or sorry. Friendly officer and I just keep chatting about biking. Cracked me up. Oh well, they were just doing their job and I have no problem with it.

The rest of the state fair day was great! I managed to avoid their food all together and only had a diet mt dew (come on, I had a trip to Chicago the next weekend!) If you've never been to the Iowa state fair, try to make an attempt to go. Butter cow, Budweiser clydesdales, fried food, the Iowa state fair has it all!

The misc photos:
Baby ostriches 
Butter, butter, and more butter! 
 100 year anniversary of the butter cow

 Sand sculptures


Deep Fried Butter! 




He was showing off 


Deep fried mac n cheese 

No comments:

Post a Comment