Saturday, October 9, 2010

More riding...more falling...


Wow, I managed to ride four days this past week! That might be a first ever. Twice at Tranquility, Taco Ride, then got in some sweet singletrack action at Calvin Crest today. Considering how this weather is so amazing and it might not last long, better get those rides in is my philosophy. It was one year ago today that Todd and I met Aaron at The Big Wheeled Ballyhoo in Brady, NE. We squeezed in a very fun night ride, then woke up to 6 inches of snow and 20 degree temps. Coldness!
Brian and Cody navigating through the pine tree section 


This is what riding singletrack is all about! from DJ Chi Wai on Vimeo.

My legs felt good enough to ride today. Cody, Brian, and I met at noon and rode two laps at Calvin Crest. First lap, great success. Then it started falling apart. As soon as we take off, I had to put my bike down ten feet into the singletrack section (see video at 15 seconds). Just had too much speed and took the trail too wide. Fell into some nettles, but continued on.


Fall down...second day in a row! 2nd lap at Calvin Crest from DJ Chi Wai on Vimeo.

Didn't change anything on my bike, but this time around the dirt seemed softer in the turns. Slid out twice and had to stop a couple of times. Then I came around on the third fast switchback after the Tower Climb and saw Brian off of his bike! First thing that ran through my mind is why is he four feet in front of his bike? Soft dirt in the turn got him also. I didn't catch him falling, but caught him off of his bike on the video. (Stands up at 1:05 in the video below)


After the tower climb, this time Brian fell down from Misterlime on Vimeo.

Finally, on the very last climb out of the trail, I leaned a little bit too far left while standing and smacked a huge tree right square on my shoulder. It hurt pretty bad, like running into a wall. I look over and saw a bunch of leaves fall off of this 30 foot tall tree. Kind of made me laugh, but not really. Scraped up the top of my shoulder, weird place to get hit.
Cody's turn through the tower climb 

Oh yeah, ran over some deer sh*t but didn't know it (was all over the downtube). Go to lift my bike onto the trunk rack and it ended up all over my hands. Yuck! Was the pain and grossness of today's ride worth it? Heck yeah! I would do it all over again just to be out there. That being said, Todd, I might join you if you bike on Sunday. Get out there and pedal!
On the last climb out, shortly before me running my shoulder into a tree 

 The beavers have been working hard

No comments:

Post a Comment