Sunday, August 8, 2010

Final chapter, Tranquility cross country race

How do you prepare for a cross country race when the heat index happens to be over 105 and a comfortable couch with air conditioning seems like a much better choice? It's hard. I drank a ton of Powerade Zero and water before heading out at noon today for the Tranquility cross country race. Camelback filled to the brim along with a berry Elixir pellet dropped in for some electrolyte replenishing. I swear that stuff works. The only problem that I have with it is that time after time, after a lap or so I wish that I just had plain tasting water. At first it tastes great, like berry water. Then after awhile, you can't get the taste out of your mouth and it starts to taste really sweet. But I digress...

Yes, my old bike computer says it is 97 in the shade

There were a ton of riders ready to race at Tranquility despite the heat. Since I'm not in any contention for winning points, medals, etc., I just figured that I would take it somewhat easy and have a good time. Like Greg said, consider it a donation to help pay for Tigger the mower. Pretend it is a Monday Night Ride, push a little harder up the hills and ease off the brakes a little more than usual. It worked. Not fast, but it was the fastest that I've ever ridden at Tranquility. So I did set a personal best for me, and I finished in 100 degree heat! I remember as soon as I felt the heat on my back during the first climb on the north side of the creek, I thought to myself, "Wow, it is really hot. What am I doing out here? Why did I sign up for today's race?" But I pushed on...and finished 7th. Can't complain. Couple riders slowed me down, but they also help me to set a pace where I knew that I could finish the race in that heat.
They made it fun for the whole family with a kids race before the start of Cat 2

Sorry Alex, that propeller might give you an advantage during the race

I let quite a few other racers pass me (from other classes), no need to be rude and slow them down. I also passed a few people so it is all good. For the Cat 3 racers, it was basically a truncated track. Meaning no inner loop and no camel humps. Thank goodness for that! The trail was the most dry that I've ever seen it, and there were actually a few unexpected slick turns from loose dirt. Otherwise, the trail was in great hardpack condition and very fast. Thanks to T.H.O.R. and all who put the numerous days worth of work into the trail. Also thanks to all of the sponsors, Pyscowpath, and any volunteers that stood out there in the blistering heat to make these three races a success!

Team Spokehole finally updated to reflect these races.

ps. Sorry, no racing pictures since I didn't stay long after the Cat 3 races.

Brian, Paul, and Greg chit chatting after the race
 
Patty and Alicia were the smart ones. Shade, chairs...I'm taking notes for next year! 

2 comments:

  1. Great job Mike, thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome man! I have some more of you from the short track race, caught you at the end of the last lap.

    ReplyDelete