Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Darkness on the trail tonight

Full moon out tonight 


Drinky plus darkness plus riding Tranquility backwards made for a great Monday Night Ride! The usual MNR group (plus a few) was out and we rode two casual laps at TP in the correct direction in the daylight. I was struggling to stay on course the first lap. Missed one of the turns in the tree section on the southside and went up a couple of the sides of the trail. Embarrassing when I know there is a rider on my tail!

We decided to take a break and go to Paul's for a quick breather. After the refreshments (thanks Paul!) we headed back out to TP, lights ablazing with a smaller group.
Lots of regrouping makes this a great casual ride 


Met up with a few people at the parking lot who were there for the Full Moon Ride. About six of us rode the north section backwards, what a thrill! We also did this late last year and I forgot how difficult it is. For one, you're in the dark. Secondly, you have two beers in the belly with no dinner. I'm no lightweight, but man, those beers can hit you hard with no food! Third, the trail seems like foreign ground. Just like Dale mentioned, we were hitting the brakes on the downhills because you're not sure what is coming up next. The narrow space between trees that doesn't usually bother you can catch you off guard. Suddenly, a tree that you normally fly past pops out when you least expect it to!
With biking to the trail from home, I managed to get in 18.5 miles tonight. Not bad for a ride on a Monday night! Next time remember to smile!

Pitstop at Paul's for some refueling 


 
Stick 'em up! 
 
Riding the northside backwards in the dark for tonight's MNR at TP

 
Paul remembered my shortcut from last year. "Crunch, crunch. I don't remember those branches being there an hour ago?" Paul, joke is on you this time!

  
Got your light ready for some fall night riding? 

2 comments:

  1. Should have stuck around but I was beat, maybe food before the ride would be a good idea.
    Nice job riding to the MNR, didn't know you had done that. It is easier (and better) to just ride over than load the bike on the rack and haul it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I slept good last night. Didn't even wake up for the rain storm. I dreamed I was a lumberjack with a bike but no axe. Crunch, crunch, crunch...

    ReplyDelete