Sunday, November 8, 2009

Great Weekend of Riding















Started out the weekend with a night ride at Manwa on friday night, Patty, Mike and myself did 3/4 lap. Little interesting at Manawa with the lights, couple times Mike and I found ourselves off the trail a bit. Woke up Saturday morning and did 2 laps at Tranquility, 1st lap with Mike and then met up with Paul and did a 2nd lap. Stopped at Bike Rack and picked up some Shimano clipless pedals and shoes (i know i know everyone has been telling me to pick up some for awhile) I finally gave in. I love them, a little hairy riding in them. We then decided to go get some food, NOT a good idea as Patty found some plastic wrapper in her BBQ chicken wrap. The restaurant (will remain un-named but TGI was Saturday) gave us a free appetizer and comp'd our delicious Brownie Obession.. yeehaa. Saturday night watched my Seminoles lose again, & watched the defensively boring Neb/Oklahoma game. Sunday our family decided to make a trip out to the new trail in Fremont, Calvin Crest, to help the guys from THOR out. Dale, Dave, Brian, Chris, Patty, Alicia and myself raked, lopped trees, and finished up another mile or so to the already great trail. I am really proud of my daughter Alicia she picked up a rake and was helping out, a future trail rider - she already has a trail riding plan in place, Manawa, Tranquility, Swanson and then Calvin Crest. We went to lunch at the Wooden Windmill, scarfed down our food so we could hurry up and get back to the awaiting trail. We unloaded bikes and off we went. Unfortunately Chris was the first victim of Calvin Crest, he was going up a hill with some roots and went off to the side and twisted his ankle and found out later it was broke in 2 places....OUCH!! What a great trail this is going to be, some technical sections, switchbacks, a suspension bridge and some nice climbs. This trail is NOT open to the public yet, but when it is the trail will get hard packed and be fast. Today was my first time helping THOR out on trailwork but will not be my last, it is a lot of hard work and time that goes into making these trails and upkeep on them, we ALL should not take this for granted and should encourage everyone to help out. On the way home Cory text and said "we are going to Tranquility" hmmm... OK I'm in, cannot pass up a ride especially on a 74 degree day in November. So I did another lap there, so all in all I did about 26-27 miles of singletrack riding over a 3 day stretch.

3 comments:

  1. Yesterday was a great day for riding and trailwork, without the help of your entire family we would not have finished that section. The ride afterwards was a blast, the trail looks a lot different over the handlebars than is does with a rake in your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again to your family for all their hard work. I don't think we would have been able to finish without your help. I know i was falling apart out there. The trail is really going to be a riot when it is ready. There is just something cool about riding a section and thinking I helped build this. Gives a sense of ownership, i guess. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad i wasn't hurt at manawa while riding on the green on my own, nor where you and mike while riding the blue, last friday night... http://thor-trails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete