Monday, October 3, 2011

Riding at Calvin Crest


What a gorgeous fall day! High of mid 70s, leaves were falling on the trail, and a good breeze was keeping us cool. Cody, Dave N, and I hit up Calvin Crest today for a good two and a half laps of trail goodness. The walnuts and acorns made the trail slick in the corners, but that was the only trouble that we had. Leaves were starting to fall on the trail. Made for a real pretty ride. Cody plans to attach a leaf blower to his Chumba frame, gonna clear the trail for us next time.



Down by the river

Not a big fan of this climb. Although it seems alot easier compared to when we first rode at Calvin Crest

The crazy root section after the trail climb is no longer a problem. Looks like they cleared out the weeds on the high side of it. Probably for the cross country meet that they had out there a few weeks ago. Now, your bike just automatically steers to the top of it. On the third loop, I told Cody that I wanted to do it old school. Go right over the root like ol' times and take my chances. Well, the root came up faster than I remembered, I slowed down, almost didn't know what to do. You hesitate and that is when accidents start happening. We both chuckled at my slight pause and unsureness.

Tower climb. Dave finally found out the reasoning behind the name. We all made that tough section, three times even! Either because it is just easier to do for some reason, or we have finally honed our skills and can tackle anything that comes in our way. You make the call.

Watch your head!


I tried my GoPro in two places today. I don't usually bring out the GoPro when I have other riders with me because I'm always stopping to mess with it. Becomes a hassle after awhile. I tried the rear facing view, attached to the seatpost. I need to bring some velcro straps next time to help secure it, still having problems with it rotating on the linking arms. Even with the locking screws as tight as I can get them, the amount of vibration on the trail kept causing the camera to shift as you'll see in the video. But what is cool is that you get some really cool POV pictures where the environment is just passing by. It's kind of a guess as to how the pictures will turn out.

Can't wait for my fatbike. Need to crush those acorns and walnuts. Gonna call it The Nutcracker! See you guys tomorrow at the Monday night ride!

Acorns and walnuts were everywhere



Dave starts off this video by doing the hand jive. Camera wasn't properly secured, all you see is tire by the end of the video.

Rear facing Go Pro at Calvin Crest from Misterlime on Vimeo.

Sorry, I mislabeled this one. It's not going down to the river. Just descending after the tower climb.

Calvin Crest, descending to the river from DJ Chi Wai on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment