Saturday, April 24, 2010

A few bike pics from Ireland

Why wouldn't you bike to the pub? 

Not going to lie...I take alot of pictures. In the week and a half that I was in Ireland, I managed to take over 2600 pictures (about 28gb of pictures). Compared to my Hawaii trip where I only took 1700 pictures, I feel that my passion for photography is deepening. Of course, I'll be happy if even one third of my photos turn out. Thank goodness for technology and digital!

Anyway, the first photos on my list to process are the biking pics. People seem to bike everywhere in Ireland, especially Dublin. No fancy bikes in the city, just bikes to get from point A to point B. Lots of mt bikes, fixsters, and commuter bikes. Traffic is kind of crazy, but there are bike lanes throughout the streets to help people get around. Maybe the coolest thing I noticed? The bike rentals on the streets. I didn't investigate too much, but it is a pay and rent a bike system. The stands were full in the morning, but by the time the end of the day rolled around, most if not all of the bikes were gone. It was super easy to spot the ugly blue bikes as people rode by them on the street. I see that I now have a follower from Dublin (welcome!). Maybe they can shed some light to us stateside folk as to how the rent a bike system works?

They did have offroad biking tours and parks in a few tourist brochures that I looked at. Unfortunately we were too busy sightseeing for me to get any time on the saddle.

The rent a bike system over there was pretty cool to see

A bike messenger outside of our hotel in Dublin



 Need a lift? A modern rickshaw styled bike in front of St. Stephens Green shopping center.



  A deli in Kilkenny with bikes as part of the outside decor

 We think this is modern bike rack?

 Bakery deliver bike in Galway

 An oxymoron? I thought maybe motorcycles when I saw the sign. But nope, bicycles and propane!
 Can't say I saw an actual Trek bike on the street, but the store is there

 A nice family moment when I saw the father pushing his daughter on his bike. There is a seat attachment in the middle of the top tube. I also saw this on another bike that we passed.  

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures Mike. I'm surprised I have not seen one of those velocity courier cargo bikes on the taco ride.

    ReplyDelete