Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm not Spiderman


I'm not Spiderman, but I sure felt like I was Spidey after riding through Calvin Crest on Sunday at noon. Spiderwebs on your bike, in your face, arms, mouth, ears. Everywhere! And some were stronger than others, almost felt like fishing line strength before breaking. Or maybe it was just because I was biking so fast! Haha, doubtful. Funny thing is that I read on the THOR facebook page that somebody had ridden CC that morning. Wow, those spiders work fast! And to tell you the truth, on my second lap I was still getting spiderwebs in my face. I'd stop and see webs, spiders and dead bugs all over the front of my bike and on me. Spiders crawling on my frame holding on for dear life. What an experience!



 Spider in the middle of this one! Click to see bigified version

It was hot Sunday and by the second lap it was even hotter. Because of this, I took my time and tried different positions with the GoPro. Purposely hopped off the bike trying to find the correct reroutes, etc. Anything to cool me down since NO breeze gets through the woods. Out in the main parking lot, there was a very nice breeze in the shade.

The gullies and the bridges
Do not pass GO 

As for the reroutes, the one after you finish the tower climb is simple and well marked. But the other reroute over the gullies and around the two bridges was not. First lap, I ended up walking my bike up the hill and rode down the fire road after getting stopped by the tape across the trail. Somehow on the second lap, I got turned around in that area, but found myself on the reroute east of the gullies and bridges heading the right direction.


And that root that sticks up like crazy after the tower climb, yes, the one that worries people. It seems to be sticking up more than when Cody and I rode CC earlier in the season. And now there seem to be one or two others before and after it starting to stick out of the ground. Just go fast over them, no big deal!

Paul reminded me that Calvin Crest is closed to riders on August 7, 2011. Save yourself the trip and feed your biking addiction elsewhere.
http://www.calvincrest.org/Mt_Biking_Trails.php


This time, the GoPro was mounted at the front of the downtube. Perfectly out of my knees' way and easily adjustable after going down the trail. The videos were pretty choppy. I used too many extensions to hold the GoPro out to the side, so every little bump was magnified.

No comments:

Post a Comment