Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rollin' to Colon 2011


I had such a good time last year (link to my 2010 post here) that I decided to do the Rollin' to Colon again this year. It took place on Sunday, June 19. Once again, I decided to do the 20 mile ride which actually seemed alot easier this year! Maybe that 50 miler Tour de Cure ride I did last month trained my legs a little bit? There was a lot of playing and dancing down at the CWS the previous two nights, so 20 miles seemed just about right. Temps were perfect and the rain stayed away.



I wasn't the only one with the Go Pro camera out that day. Except I had the chest harness on.

This year's route was the same as last year's. Start in Valley, NE. at the high school parking lot, then make your way out on highway 64 until you reach the highway 77 intersection. Stop, rest, get some snacks, turn around! The 53 mile group actually rode out to Colon, NE., hence the name Rollin' to Colon. There was also a 10 mile ride and a kids ride. Good times!

The reason for me doing this ride along with the Wear Yellow Ride last month (my blog post here)? A coworker was diagnosed this year with stage 4 colon cancer. Pretty sad. She was uber healthy, worked out, ate healthy, into the health foods, everything. Went in for her second colonoscopy at age 58 and they found the terrible news. It had also metastisized to her liver. It started as her having some problems with breathing, so she went into her doctors and the rest is history. I figured since I'm not racing the Psychopath series this year that I would put my efforts to good causes such as Wear Yellow Nebraska, Great Plains Colon Cancer Task Force, and the Tour de Cure for Diabetes.

This year's ride seemed easier for some reason 

A welcome sight to see.

At the finish line, Crimson Dawn was playing live music. Mostly older covers which were really good! Subway was provided with chips and beverages. Eileen's cookies as fellow biker Brian pointed out were also present. Brian once again did the 53 miler, this time on his new roadbike. Not only will I bump into him on the singletrack, but also very likely at next year's Rollin' to Colon! See you guys next year!

We met up with the first of the 53 mile riders at the stop. I think I would be faster on a Pinarello Dogma bike! Maybe...

I eventually got passed by the 53 mile leaders. My 13 year old mt bike turned cross bike couldn't keep up!

Whew! Made it. 

Crimson Dawn was playing the jams


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great post about Rollin' to Colon! Glad to have you out again this year!!!

    ReplyDelete