Sunday, January 16, 2011

Snowshoe action at Chalco Hills


I had a few things planned for this weekend, didn't get either one done. But close. Number 1 being snowshoeing at Fontanelle Forest. I've never been there. Thought I would head out there with the snowshoes. Decide to google how to get there. Look at their website. Deer population control these two weekends meaning all Fontanelle trails are closed for hunting. What! The one weekend I want to go there in the 14 years I've lived in Omaha and they are closed! What are the chances?

Well, just so happened that Aaron called me Saturday afternoon and told me that him and Amanda are heading to Chalco Hills for some cross country skiing action. Do I want to bring my snowshoes and tag along? Heck yeah! First time I've ever been to Chalco. I've only heard about the sledding that kids do out there. On my way. Snowshoeing turned into some snowshoe jogging in order to keep up with the skiers. But they were kind enough to wait for me. Had a lot of fun. Made a huge lap and took some pictures along the way. Great workout, great scenery, and great company!
Amanda and Aaron on the skis 

I've found that the more powdery the snow is, the more fun it is to walk through on the snowshoes. The packed stuff is alright, but just watching the snowshoe sink into 6 inches of snow, then easily lift right back up and all of the snow gets pushed off is an awesome sight and sound.


I wanted to hit up some snowboarding at Mt. Crescent today. Didn't get around to it. Another partybus last night kind of did me in. Had a blast and made some new friends along the way. My couch was much kinder to me than Mt. Crescent would have been. Have a great week folks!
Pretty sure that I have taken over 30k pictures since I first picked up a SLR back at Creighton. Still have no clue how to take interesting snow pictures!  

Amazing scenery out there

 Tons of deer crossing the road

2 comments:

  1. Mike, if you had that Mukluk you would have kept up no problem. :-)
    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete