Monday, January 24, 2011

Lots of snow after we went snowshoeing


The goal for me this winter was to try and be a little more active during these cold winter months. I'm still getting in my gym time, but I wanted to get off of the couch and be a little more outdoorsy on the weekends. I've now been on my snowshoes three times and I love them. Deep snow? Not a problem. You practically float on it. Icy slope up the hill? Not a problem, the teeth on the crampon will dig in and keep you heading in the right direction.
Proof that Aaron actually had the things on, even if for only a short time 


Got some people together to hit the trails at Hitchcock Nature Center just north of Mt. Crescent. Saturday morning wasn't too bad. There was a small amount of wind that you cold feel at the top of the bluffs, but otherwise it was just about perfect. The scenery out there is amazing. The Loess Hills (pronounced luss as Dave and I found out) are spectacular land formations that were formed by the wind. Unfortunately, it was a cloudy day out. If the skies would have been blue, it would have been even more of a sight. I'll have to venture out there in the spring or summertime. Darn, no bikes allowed!
Got some slower shutter speed action going to get this picture.  Synchonized snowshoeing between Paul and Dave

The views were magnificent. Click to enlarge. 

Lots of hills, lots of trails. Saw a few Cardinals. The rental snowshoes are a joke. Aaron immediately took his off and strapped them to his back. As did my coworker and her husband who showed up later in the afternoon. But they still got in a good snowy hike. Paul, Dave, and Amanda kept their "stamped milkcrates" on their feet. It was funny watching Paul kick snow up over his head. Afterwards, we stopped and had some good grub at Henry's Diner in Crescent before heading to the carshow. Lots of shiny metal there, everything except Nissan. That was weird.

Aaron giving my Tubbs a try on a steeper section

I immediately knew what Aaron was up to. Strapping the snowshoes to his back.

All smiles up on the observation deck 
Thanks for coming out and keeping me company fellow snowshoers!


 Here are a few pics from Paul's camera:
Group shot! You put your right foot in, and you shake it all about 


Tall guys in back!!! 

1 comment:

  1. That was fun. The snow Sunday would have been perfect to stomp around in but I had enough of those "milkcrates". Your Tubbs look like they are worth it. Maybe if I get some the snow will stop.

    ReplyDelete