Sunday, January 30, 2011

My first ever gravel ride...

I was excited and yet a little nervous at the same time for our ride yesterday. It's cold out. How do I dress knowing that we'll be cranking over those hills? Will it be muddy with the temps being in the 30s? Will I be able to keep up after a winter of casually hopping on my rollers in the living room. Well sometimes, you just have to dive in wheel first and find out! And it wasn't too bad!

Lots of tough hills to climb, but it feels great knowing you made it to the top. Until you see the next one right ahead of you!

For the ride, we got in about 14-15 miles worth of gravel and icy neighborhood streets. Only one barking dog that stayed close to the house along with a doggy that wanted us to play in the snow. The ride consisted of Aaron, Paul, Dave, Brian and myself. Good temps, good company, and good eats and drinks after. It is funny how the first real ride of the year kicks your butt from the very start and shows you how bad of cardio shape you are in. Those hills were killer and I was secretly hoping that I wouldn't have to hop off the bike and walk some of them. Kudos to Aaron for leading the pack all the way while riding on his singlespeed. Not sure you how do it man! Can't wait to do it again fellas! I need a few more of these before race season starts. It was nice to get out and hop on the bike after a cold winter.
Aaron led the pack the whole way 

 Somehow I was still smiling after climbing those hills

 Passing by Mt. Michael on 216th street

 Pavement was a little bit easier, but not much.


Group picture from Paul 

3 comments:

  1. The ride home after eating wasn't bad except my gloves were wet. I got home to a quiet house. The dog greeted me then he laid back down to his afternoon nap. I changed into sweat pants and an old sweater. Fifteen minutes later I was crashed too. Pizza Gourmet after gravely hills is napalicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually beat me back to my place. I was behind you as I was turning in. I ended up taking a 4 hour nap, woke up hungover at 8pm. WTH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys had a fun ride. Wish I could have mad it...

    ReplyDelete