Monday, January 21, 2013

That first real ride of the year


You know which one. The one that kicks you in the arse and reminds you of all those xmas cupcakes and cookies, those goo filled chocolates, and those pretzels covered in yogurt. But then the reality sets back in and you are cranking those pedals up the gravel road, wondering what the next hill will bring. Sometimes you get to the bottom of one, you look up and it seems to go on forever and ever. The gravel seems fresh, or they just plowed the gravel back to the middle of the road. And the sides seem mushy like from the warm temps and thawing. Yes, the mushy that sucks on your tires and doesn't feel like they want to let go. Zapping you of your energy before you get to coast towards the bottom.



I finally got around to installing my new Ergon grips from Bike Masters. This is what I came across when I pulled off the crap foam grips! Made me smile because I knew that it would be a good ride that day.


Thirteen of us made it out for a gravel ride on Saturday afternoon. The temps were great, in the 40s but with a strong wind that kept wanting to push my fat tires off the road. Todd W had slicks on his Scott, and I could see him swerving like a first time ice skater on ice. But he managed. And I barely managed to keep up with him (I know he was staying back to keep me company!). Thanks Todd for the encouragement to stay up with you.





We started at Prairie View Lake out by Bennington, made our way to Dutch Hall Road and continued that up to the Ponderosa Bar where we refueled and got caught up on everyone's lives. Because there was a little sense still left in me, I stuck to water at the bar instead of the beer. I knew that the night would be a wild night celebrating one of my best friend's birthdays, so I decided to keep my drinks non alcoholic for the time being.

Dangit! Hole in the crotch of my favorite winter biking pants. Yes, I really did take a picture of that

Chris N said the funniest thing that I've ever heard regarding a bike. He said that he was out taking the bike for a walk that day. 

And you thought the urinal in the bathroom was too high up...

We left the bar, Todd rode back home and we headed back our way. The wind was amazing and helped to push us all the way back. Probably took less than half the time to make it back. Good first ride of the year fellas. Just like last year's ride, it kicked my butt. I was cursing myself for suggesting the ride while riding, but looking back I'm glad we got it in. The temps were great, the company was great, and my body needed a kick in the butt!

This is how I felt after I got back to my car. Only to know that I still had a whole afternoon and evening full of festivities to attend. 






Was tempted to bike on the ice...but I'm not that dumb!

No comments:

Post a Comment