Saturday, February 19, 2011

Salvation Army Night Watch

Last Thursday, I was invited by my friend Lindsay to help volunteer with this awesome program. I had heard of it before, but had no clue what it was about. Every Tuesday and Thursday, the Salvation Army sends out two huge trucks (bigger than an ambulance) filled with food, drinks, coats, gloves, scarves, and even socks out to both North Omaha and South Omaha.

I happened to be on the South Omaha one last week. It's super easy volunteer work if you are guys are looking for some volunteer opportunities. Lindsay, Melissa, and I actually just stayed inside scooping already prepared food into take out containers. We then handed them outside through the little side window to the Salvation Army workers that handed them out to people in need. Easy as that! They do the driving, they know the stops. We were done in two hours and the time just flew by.

It was kind of sad seeing the 2-3 dozen or more folks standing outside the truck waiting for a hot meal. Even families with small children just needing meals. Many even asked for clothing, nothing fancy, but even just things like clean socks and gloves! My friend Lindsay said it is much worse when it is colder out and the truck runs out of coats to give out.

I know that times are tough for everyone with today's economy. Here is some proof. After you do bell ringing, they send you a letter stating how much people donated during your shift. This past season, people donated about $78 during my four hour shift. Btw, thanks to all who donated their time and money. But a few years ago, my total during a four hour shift was over $240! I think the Salvation Army was several million short from their goal for the bell ringing campaign.



Have a nice weekend folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment