Sunday, December 20, 2009

My last ride for the year



 A few texts messages and a couple emails later, we got a group of nine together for a impromptu bike ride. I was expecting 4-5 to show up and we were all surprised by the turnout. The original plan was to hit either gravel roads or Wabash Trace, but after learning about trail conditions we decided to play it safe and hit the Bob Kerry pedestrian bridge and make a loop to Lake Manawa. Eventually the trail was impassable due to almost 1 ft of snow and we had to turn around.



Both Paul and Dale were sporting the studded tires

After arriving back at Rick's Boatyard, a few of us continued on through Gene Leahy Mall and Heartland of America Park. Temps were hovering around 32 degrees, the sun had disappeared and a cold wind had picked up.  Finished with a ride of just over 12 miles. On the ride were Paul, Dale, Steve, Dave X 2, Cory, Chris, Todd, and myself.


Dave rockin the boots. I couldn't pass up the chance to get a photo!
 
Todd all bundled up and ready to roll
 
 
The end of our loop. We knew it once we were all walking our bikes

 
Making my way through Conagra Plaza. Thanks Paul for the pic


View Sunday bike ride in a larger map

*Map provided by Dave and his Droid

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes when we are our riding in cold weather we hear people we are passing by say stuff like "You guys are nuts". Yesterday there were a few men under the bridge at the Gene Leahy Mall. One said to me as I was rolling up "Yeah, I'm not even going ask you for a cigarette...". I couldn't hear what he said after that. But the first part made me chuckle.

    Thanks for the pictures Mike. Good last ride of 2009. Looking forward to some rides in 2010. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    -Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time. Wish I could have made it.

    ReplyDelete